How to transform outdated vases into new ones that you will love!
It’s always fun to buy something new, but sometimes it’s just as fun and rewarding to turn something we already have into something new! I love taking something I already own and, instead of trashing it, repurposing it into something I LOVE!
That’s why I was so excited when I first started to see the #TrashtoTerracotta trend start to float around Instagram. I mean, who DOESN’T have a dozen old dated vases from years past? Instead of throwing them all in the Donate pile, we can turn these old vases into new, expensive looking pottery with a few things we probably already have in our cabinets!
Here is what you will need:
Wider paint brushes (depending on what you’re painting)
- I prefer using natural haired brushes for this project opposed to synthetic - it applies with more of texture which is key for this project!
- preferably a paper/plastic bowl that can’t be thrown out afterwards
- this is important! It must be acrylic - other paints won’t absorb the same, so you won’t get the same effect.
- First thing you will need to do is make sure your vases, or whatever you are painting, is nice and clean. Make sure there isn't any dust or grime - we want to start with a clean canvas.
- Pour your acrylic paint into the plastic container.
- Start with 1 Tbs of baking powder. You can add more as you mix based on your desired texture. Start with less. Remember: you can always add more, but you can’t always take away.
- Mix it in immediately, and notice that it starts to fluff up and turn into a mousse-like texture. If it isn’t thickening as much as you would like, begin to add more baking powder. Use a brush to apply it to your vase or anything else you would like to paint.
- Let the paint dry for an hour or so until it is touch dry, then do another coat for added coverage and texture. The paint mixture will dry quickly so make sure to use it before it dries or cover it up.
That’s it! In less than thirty minutes and a couple of dollars, you have successfully upcycled your glass vase into a stunning pottery-like masterpiece!
If you want a walk-through, check out our video tutorial on our Youtube channel.
If you try this technique out, make sure and tag us on Facebook or Instagram! We love to see your projects.